Browntop Millet Khichdi Now that we know the benefits of browntop millet, let us inspire you more with some simple, homemade recipes using browntop that you can try at home. This is a comfort food – khichdi which is prepared using millet & moong dal.
– 1 cup browntop millet
– 1/4th cup moong dal
– 1 cup of mixed veggies (beans, carrot, peas)
– ½ tsp turmeric powder
– 1 chopped onion
-1 tsp grated ginger
-½ tsp garam masala
– 1 tomato finely chopped
-½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
-1 tsp mustard seeds
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp A2 ghee
Method Of Preparation
1) Measure millet and lentil and wash and soak them separately for 6-8 hours or overnight
2) Heat ghee in a deep bottomed vessel
3) To this ghee, add mustard seeds & cumin. Let them splutter
4) Add grated ginger and onions. Let it cook till onion becomes soft
5) Add tomatoes and cook them till they become mushy & soft
6) Add the veggies and saute for a few minutes
7) Add salt & spices. Mix everything well
8) At this stage, you can add washed and drained browntop millet and moong dal
9) Continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes till the spices mix with the grains
10) Add about 3 cups of water, mix everything well
11) Cover and cook on low flame till the grains become soft & mashable. It will take around 15 minutes
12) Once done, switch off the flame. Let the Browntop Millet khichdi rest for a few minutes
My son was about 5 months and I was beginning to think about introducing solids. I wanted something traditional & healthy yet quick & easy to make at home. But to my surprise I found most of the foods available were filled with excess sugar, maltodextrin, milk powder, artificial flavors, colors etc.
I decided to never feed my son these boxes of food. But was that a good solution? What about other babies who were eating them because their parents had no other option or were not aware of the harmful effects of these additives?
This very thought triggered me to think of bringing back traditional baby food recipes that were made just like how our grandmas made it for us!